A pasta sauce recipe. Can you fill in the right phrasal verbs in the gaps?
…… (1) the chicken for several hours before starting cooking. …… (2) the tomatoes, onions, garlic and mushrooms as a first step. Add these ingredients to a sauce pot with a little cooking oil and put it on medium heat for about one minute. Then, …… (3) the chicken, spices and a little salt. Let the mixture cook until the chicken is golden brown, for about seven minutes. Next, add two large cans of crushed tomatoes. Cover the pot. …… (4) the heat so that the sauce won’t …… (5). Let it cook for about 20 minutes on low heat. Let it …… (6) before serving it over pasta with a little cheese. If you have some leftover you can …… (7) for a next day meal.
Can you fill in the gaps with the remaining three phrasal verbs?
- I don’t really have time to make proper dinner. I’ll just …… an omelette.
- Why don’t you …… a piece of cheese if you are hungry?
- You would eat more vitamins if you hadn’t …… the skin of the apple.
1. thaw out 2. chop up 3. mix in 4. turn down 5. boil over 6. cool down 7. warm it up
2. 1. whip up 2. slice off 3. peeled off